These backyard BBQ cupcakes are super cute and easy to make– you don’t have to be a grill master to make them.
I bought colored sugar at the bulk store a couple of weeks ago because it was available in so many colors. I didn’t know what I would use it for, but it looked a lot of fun. The black sugar looked a lot like charcoal, so I thought they would make really cute BBQ cupcakes.
Backyard BBQ Cupcakes
- ready-made cupcakes (I used chocolate cupcakes) - chocolate frosting or buttercream - “Hot Tamale” Candy - Caramel Squares - Multi-colored Gummi Worms - Black sugar, orange sugar, red sugar - black food color + toothpicks
1. Frost your cupcakes with the chocolate frosting. Reserve 2 tablespoons of frosting, and using a small amount of the black food coloring gel, dye the frosting gray.
2. Place black sugar in a bowl and dip the top of the frosted cupcakes in the sugar to fully coat. The black will be the ‘charcoal’ of our BBQs.
3. Sprinkle a little bit of orange and red sugar on top to represent ‘hot’ coals.
4. Using a parchment triangle or a piping bag to pipe lines across the cupcakes using the gray frosting. These will represent the grill of the BBQ.
Prep the Grill “Meat”:
- Mold the caramels into steaks using. Next, cut the multi-colored gummy worms into small pieces, and skewer them onto a toothpick. - Dip a toothpick into the black food coloring gel, and draw lines across the candy to make it look like grill marks. Place the finished candies onto the ‘bbq’.