The spiced rum and the citrus notes of the clementine perfectly complement one another.
Pour me a cup of fresh coffee and sit me down with a plate of these and I will be happy. You can make these in whichever size you choose– I made them mini because let's face it, calories don’t count when food is smaller
Spiced Rum and Clementine Whoopie Pies ( makes about 12x 3″ dia sandwiched cookies) Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour - 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda - ½ teaspoon fine salt - 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened - ¼ cup vegetable shortening - ¼ cup granulated sugar - 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar - 1 tablespoon molasses - ¼ cup dark spiced rum - 1 large egg - ¾ cup milk - 1 tsp all-spice - ½ tsp ginger - 1 tsp cinnamon - 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract - zest of 1 grated clementine + Vanilla Buttercream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Sift together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
2. Add butter, shortening, and sugars to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; cream on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg; beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add half the flour mixture, then the milk, rum, vanilla, and zest; beat until combined. Add the remaining flour mixture.
3. Beat together, scraping down sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
4. Drop slightly rounded tablespoons of batter (using a spoon or an ice cream scoop) 2 inches apart on each baking sheet. Bake the cookies until they spring back to the touch (approximately 8 minutes for mini whoopies, 11-13 minutes for large).
5. Remove from oven; let cookies cool on baking sheets, 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool completely. Meanwhile, line a cooled baking sheet with a new piece of parchment; repeat process with remaining batter.
6. Once completely cooled, spread buttercream on flat sides of half the cookies. Top each with one of the remaining cookies, flat side down, and gently press together. Dust with icing sugar if desired.