The vision of America's future has gone through a paradigm shift with President-Elect Joe Biden and Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris being voted into the White House in record-breaking fashion.
Palpable excitement boiled over, even in our household up in Canada, and our inspiration could not be contained! I give you the result of that inspiration and I only hope that, somewhere, Joe and Jill are preparing something similar and getting ready for the long, hard road ahead.
Hopefully, this recipe warms your soul - the way the Biden/Harris victory warmed ours.
Sloppy Joe Bidens
(Serves 6, generously)
- 1 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey - 2 onions, diced - 1 green pepper, diced - 1 tablespoon jalapeno, finely chopped - 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes (like Rotel) - 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce - 1/2 cup Heinz Ketchup - 2 tablespoons cumin - 2 tablespoons chili powder - 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper - 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper - 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (smoked if you can find it) - 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed - 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed - 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup corn starch + Your favorite buns - we made two versions: cheese buns and onion buns 🤤
Toppings: - sour cream - cheddar cheese - green onion - Fritos < trust us on this one
1. In a medium-sized heavy pan, over medium-high heat add the olive oil. Add the ground meat and cook, breaking up into pieces, until browned. Add the onions, bell pepper, and jalapeno and cook until softened. Drain excess grease.
2. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, salt, cayenne, paprika, ketchup, and water. Mix to combine.
3. Add the kidney beans and black beans, mix and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. At the 2 hour mark, in a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and 1/2 cup of excess liquid from the pot. Once you have a mixture that doesn't have any lumps, slowly stir it into your chili mixture. Cool down for another 10 minutes, and then you're ready to serve.
*Everything will be cooked at the 1-hour mark, but if you really want flavor, we suggest letting it stew for as long as you can.
4. Serve with desired toppings. (All of them!)